Atypical TB and Minimising Bleeding
Late in the process when it was clear that the antibiotics were not working
my Specialists presented me with some available options if i elected.
* Lung Transplant was Never discussed as an option,
possibly due to reasons such as availability, eligibility etc
but this was not an option i would have ever opted for
especially after having researched all related issues.
* Surgical Removal of the main area of heavy MAC concentration
This option was advised by one of the Specialists and told that
“This part -of lung- is not really doing you any good”
I am, generally speaking, highly adverse to any invasive procedures
and would have no doubt rejected this option in the end
but was highly relieved when the opinion of the Senior Specialist
confirmed that my decision would have been correct,
because the Lung damage, bronchiectasis and MAC was widespread,
thus not offering any guaranties that an operation would have made
much difference – and i was concern that undergoing such huge trauma
would there be any chance of a successful recovery after
or it would be a downhill slide much faster than otherwise.
* Amicacin Treatment a more recent at the time option and in early stages
of application was one i was nearly booked for due to the ‘hands on’
very enthusiastic and energetic Specialist i was referred to
for alternative options that again i had to weigh chance and degree of success
and the pros and cons of success versus long term side effects, etc.
Nothing is simple or free from repercussions – a lesson i learned later on
with the aftermath of Antibiotics and Malassezia and breathed with relief as to
how much more i may have escaped due to my conservative nature
and abhorrence for interfering with the processes of the Body
when so little is known and at experimental stages.
The fact that the treatment required hospitalisation and close monitoring
due to possible serious –to my opinion– side effects and with already
very poorly functioning kidneys, as described in earlier entries,
decidedly put me off this option too and declined…
* Cauterisation of Vessels? or (gel?? capping?) ???
Unfortunately both my husband’s as well as my memory is failing us
regarding the name and details of this procedure offered
and several attempts to find anything related on Google
have not produced any helpful results.
Basically, it was something like either capping or cauterising? vessels?
to stop the frequent bleeds.
This too i declined because i was not sure that doing so
would end the problem or it would manifest somewhere else,
with possibly worse consequences.
My approach is always diametrically opposite to the medical.
I want to find the cause and Treat the Cause,
not just stop or mute the symptom i.e. ‘shoot the messenger’
and harm the body instead of shooting the true offender.
Usually, i feel confident about my decisions,
at least as the ones i consider the right ones for me
and so is the case with the first three above.
About the fourth one i am divided and not absolutely certain
whether it was the right one but not knowing the answer
to the questions that would decide a clearer judgement
i am still more comfortable for declining
rather than finding out after.
This of course has left me constantly on the watch out
about frequent Bleeds and how to Cope and Minimise
Both Frequency of Occurrence as well as Volume.
Ordinarily i do not bleed for extended periods of time,
unless something upsets the very fragile, walk on tightrope like, delicate balance.
There have been a couple of sudden, frightening experiences
of dangerous volumes but even less than that it can be
rather shocking and scary especially when it happens suddenly
without any warning and in the middle of the night
Over time i have observed and discovered different causes of bleeding
and have implemented ways of Controlling and Minimising
Frequency and Severity.
Some Identified Causes:
* Cold / Flu Contact with affected /carrying persons
* Hot or Cold Abrupt Exposure of whole Body or Part, Internally or Externally
– Too Hot – water in the Bath Tab whole Body and or Head
– Hair Drier – on High Heat setting (only used attempting to kill Malassezia)
– Low Temperature – walking in Sea water when temperature Below 22C
– Cold – Swimming in Pool or Sea Below 33C temperature
– Eating or Drinking Anything Cold – either Room temperature or Below
– Exposure to Air – Conditioning especially set on Cold
but even when set on warm during winter – but could be due to viruses rather
than warm temperature?…
* Blood Thinner Capsules such as Fish Oil as well as herbal ones etc
* Dehydration –Not enough Liquid intake
especially after highly salty or sugary foods or drinks even if natural.
* Heart Palpitations perhaps due to adrenalin pumped in the blood ?
* Upset or Frightened especially if it happens suddenly, again much as above
as this also produces Heart Palpitations and consequently adrenalin release
Identified Ways and Substances to Minimise Bleeding
– Vitamin C Powder ( ½ teaspoon every 3-4 hours for 1-2 days then reduce)
– Bloodroot and /or Withania 1 capsule filled with powder of either or both
– Acidophilus capsules 4-6 daily
– Lemon Juice A tablespoon of freshly squeezed – undiluted, nothing added
– Hot water or herbal tea (not too hot just comfortable or would have the opposite efect)
– Avoiding anything Cold or with potential to cause irritating Cough
– Inflating the Lung helps Bleeding Heal Faster
– Clearing the Mucous Frequently and avoiding congestion
* Vitamin C Always works! even on its own
Depending on the volume of Blood it can take effect within an hour
or a day if more severe. For extreme cases it minimises immediately
but takes a couple of days to stop totally.
* Bloodroot effect i discovered while taking it trying to kill Malassezia Yeast
(See Expectorating the Lung)
* Acidophilus capsules the same as above, taking while trying to kill Malassezia
but has also proved to clear both Bladder and Chest Infection repeatedly
both for Myself and my Husband.
See Acidophilus Experiment in
* Lemon Juice has strong Haemostatic quality
Drinking it daily or in large quantities as preventative, Lessens the effect
as the body tries to compensate for this quality and restore balance.
* Drinking Hot water but not as effective measure if on its own
and works mainly if Bleeding is mild and has just broken.
It is still Soothing though and in this regard it is good
for either heavy or light bleeding.
* I Avoid Lemon or Raw Garlic if i Cough up thick Clots
as both Promote thickening of the Blood
and Clotting itself causes more bleeding
and is a cause of bleeding itself due to the bursting of Blood Vessels.
The Lemon is good if the Bleeding is too Runny and does not stop easily
and often has an almost instant effect.
* I also Avoid Sugary foods if the Blood is Thin and Runny
and even cut down on Fruit Consumption and switch on to
tonnes of Broccoli, Brussel Sprouts, and Okra –Rich greens!-
that contain vitamin K with thickening quality
but only temporarily for just a day or so.
* If the Blood is thin, and runny i also avoid taking the daily Vitamin E
but Do so and Increase dosage slightly if Bleeding is caused by Clotting.
* I have noticed when raw bleeding occurs not containing any mucous
i have to be very careful to keep the lung relaxed and not do
anything that can cause irritating cough which can perpetuate
bleeding and inhibit quick healing.
On the contrary when it contains mucous if there is need to cough
and empty the lung, then i do so, as this facilitates faster healing
–not sure what the mechanics are here but in any case
i am never brutal with any action i take
i always treat my Lungs the way one handles a Baby.
* Often due to the Red colour it is difficult to know if the majority
of the expectorate is pure Blood or a mix of Mucous
but through close observation again i have discovered that
when i flash the content down the toilet, the Raw Blood sinks down
and colours the water residue of the toilet bowl
while when it is Mucous it floats o the surface of the water in clamps
and the water remains fairly clean of colour.
This shows me the quality of has started so i am careful not to aggravate
the condition or the Progress of healing if it changes from Blood sinking
to Mucous mix i.e blood stopping and clearing process begins.
* For an entire decade, my sole and most effective way of Inflating
my Lung, was swimming. I never missed a swim during bleeding.
On the contrary, bleeding made it a good reason to swim
because swimming and inflating the lung, always helped heal faster.
Even when initially faced with the paradox of the water temperature
causing spontaneous bursts of bleeding, while it was only a minimal amount,
i would spit it out in a vitamin container and continue on.
Just doing so helped normalise quickly the situation.
Later on when the reaction to the temperature became more severe
and the volume of a burst became a full mouthful and continuing
and was forced to quickly scramble out of the water
in order not to contaminate the pool, i knew it was time to stop,
both to ensure public safety and save myself from embarrassment
as well as not to cause more harm to my lungs than the good
they were deriving by the swims.
Now i try to achieve the same effect in a much lower scale
with either a Walk or on the Treadmill but …it is not near as effective …
Generally my experience has shown that:
Using the Lung in a way that Causes it to Inflate
Helps Minimise or Stop the Bleeding, Faster.
What Does – and What Does – Not, Cause Bleeding
– Everything Cold either Consumed or by Sudden Exposure of any sensitive Body part
– Eating /drinking something Cold is still followed by Bleeding
even if drinking hot immediately after – it does Not equalise the effect
– Too Hot Water or Air on the Head (as in washing or using hair dryer high setting)
– Drinking or eating Hot items (as long as not too hot)
– A Normal Hot bath
– Breathing Cold winter air 5°- 6° C ( chest hurts and coughs but does not bleed)
Some of the identified causes have a slower effect than others
making it harder to identify or connect and only a diary can help
reveal the recurring pattern.
It took me a couple of years to finally pinpoint pool ware temperature
with bleeding until it had reached the point of near spontaneous bursts.
The same also with touching cold items right out of the Fridge etc.
So, in some instances the bleeding occurs unfailingly late in the night
-even if he cause was produced early in the day- or early morning hours
while still asleep and sometimes as late as the next day
while some in some cases there is a spontaneous, within minutes, burst.
I now more or less know what and when to expect something if done
something wrong or felt the process started.
Generally speaking if nothing happens within three days max.
i know i have escape it.
A good indication that a reaction is set and consequences may follow
is if immediately after exposure to cold internally or externally
a persistent cough starts within a few seconds without mucous
as if something is obstructing the Oesophagus or the middle of the chest.
I also know through diary keeping that avoiding carefully
anything Cold or too Hot i have had two and three months
of not a drop of Blood!…
It is a hard task but i have now started to implement certain protective measures.
* * *
An informative piece about Bleeding:
Severity of haemoptysis has been arbitrarily
divided into mild, moderate, or severe depending
upon the amount of bleeding4. It is called mild if
less than 30 ml of blood is expectorated per day
or there is only streaking or flecks of blood in the
sputum. Haemoptysis is moderate if bleeding is
between 30 to 200 ml/day and severe if bleeding
occurs in excess of 200 ml/day. Massive
haemoptysis has been variably defined as blood
loss of 200-600 ml or more within 48 hours or as
much as to cause haemodynamic disturbance1,5
When pure blood without sputum is
expectorated, it is called frank haemoptysis
* * * * *
Lung photo: www.studio 8design.co.uk
Gif source dumpfm‑melipone‑Yoshi
* * * * *